Sat 21 Feb 2015
11:15 AM - 3:00 PM
See address below
Pearls of Cleveland
at the Artists Archive of the Western Reserve
after lunch at Presti’s Bakery
At 11:15 the carpool will depart the College Club parking lot for lunch at Presti’s Bakery.
At 1:30 we will have a private tour of Pearls of Cleveland, led by 2 of the artists themselves, Stuart Pearl and Sharlene Pearl Green. Pearls of Cleveland features Moses Pearl’s drawings, watercolors and oil paintings, as well his daughter’s drawings and his son’s photography.
Archived artist Moses Pearl was a child of Cleveland. Born here in 1917, Moses was a product of the Cleveland School system, the Cleveland School of Art (later the Cleveland Institute of Art) and Kent State University. Throughout his career, he worked at the Cleveland Museum of Art, taught art in the Cleveland Schools, and was shown in 19 May Shows.
Moses spent his creative life exploring the vibrancy of Cleveland as he worked, taught and painted throughout the city. His weekly explorations led him to steel mills, girded bridges, towering buildings and delightful, hidden corners of the city. His vibrant color palette and graphic style captured the intensity that he found on the streets.
Often accompanied by his daughter Sharlene or son Stuart, Moses opened his children’s artistic sensibilities with his plein aire paintings and watercolors, while at the same time instilling in them an appreciation of the colorful landscape and architecture of their surroundings.
Stuart and Sharlene will speak to us and their works of painting and photography is also on display.
After, we can go to the sculpture center and other artists exhibits.
Presti’s is at 12101 Mayfield Rd, Cleveland, 44106, which is the NE corner of Mayfield and Coltman (map it).
A good place to look for parking is around the playground across Mayfield from Holy Rosary Church.
Artists Archive of the Western Reserve is at 1834 E 123rd St, Cleveland, 44106, which is just off Euclid, across from Lakeview Cemetery (map it). (Maybe in the buildings that formerly housed Woodhill Supply?)